Regular meditation can heighten your access to emotional depth, humor, responsiveness to music, spirituality, intuition, creativity, abstract thinking, compassion and empathy.
Guided imagery (sometimes called guided meditation, visualization, mental rehearsal and guided hypnosis) is a gentle but powerful technique that focuses the imagination in proactive, positive ways.
It can be as simple as an athlete’s 5-second pause, just before leaping off the diving board, imagining how a perfect dive feels when slicing through the water. Or it can be as complex as imagining the busy, focused buzz of thousands of loyal immune cells, swarming out of the thymus gland on a search and destroy mission to wipe out unsuspecting cancer cells.
Multiple Benefits of Guided Imagery
Guided imagery or guided meditation has the built-in capacity to deliver multiple layers of complex, encoded messages deep inside – positive, healing, motivating messages – through simple images, sensations, symbols and metaphors, received in an altered or trance-like state.
And because it mobilizes unconscious processes to assist with conscious goals, it can bring to bear much more of the whole person to get behind a desired end. You might say these positive messages act like a depth charge dropped beneath the surface of the self, where they can reverberate again and again, catalyzing continuous change.
Evidence Based Research
Over the past 40 years, the effectiveness of guided imagery has been validated by research, demonstrating its positive impact on health, wellness, attitude, behavioral change and peak performance.
- Less than 10 minutes of hypnotic guided meditation can reduce stress, blood pressure, cholesterol and hemoglobin A1C levels in the blood.
- It can heighten short- term immune cell activity, and it can speed up healing from fractures and burns.
- It’s been shown to reduce blood loss during surgery and opioid use after it.
- Guided imagery lowers anxiety and pain.
- It increases athletic mastery at skiing, skating, shooting, golf and tennis; and skill and confidence at writing, acting, singing, test-taking and public speaking.
- It increases purposeful weight loss and smoking abstinence.
- And it has been proven invaluable during medical procedures like chemotherapy, radiotherapy, ventilator weaning, biopsy and dialysis.
- Regular meditation can heighten your access to emotional depth, humor, responsiveness to music, spirituality, intuition, creativity, abstract thinking, compassion and empathy.
This technique is subtle, safe and gentle, guided imagery meditation can be a surprisingly powerful tool, and increasingly so over time.