Hypnosis is a natural mental state that children often get into when they are playing imaginary games or daydream. A child’s mind is full of creativity and imagination, both tools that hypnosis uses.
Will Hypnosis Work On My Child?
Children are great candidates for hypnosis. Their unconscious mind is wide open and therefore can take in any suggestions easily and openly. They have vivid imaginations, which makes it much easier for them to respond to hypnosis sessions, access their unconscious and bring about the desired change. As a result, hypnotherapy with children can have effective results very quickly. Children are wonderfully receptive to hypnosis. It can be a very positive and empowering experience for them.
What Will A Typical Session Look Like?
- At the initial assessment a complete history is taken from the parents, and the youth (if old enough to validly contribute).
- If a child wants her/his parent present, that’s fine. We make sure that the parent stays with the child till she/he is comfortable and feeling safe.
- A variety of techniques that might be used during the sessions might include visualization, stories and role-playing.
- Imagery, repetition and humor are frequently used.
How Old Does My Child Need To Be To Do Hypnotherapy?
We usually work with children aged 5 and over. As long as your child can focus, ie; watching a full-length movie, then they are old enough to benefit from hypnotherapy
When Should Hypnotherapy Be Avoided?
If the child or youth:
- is very seriously emotionally disturbed or dissociated,
- cannot follow directions,
- is too frightened to relax
- has epilepsy
Children & Youth’s Reactions to Hypnotherapy
- They love it because it uses their own power.
- It’s mysterious and magical.
- Learning how to go into a trance is, for most children, a skill that once is learned, they never forget.
- Children respond to Hypnotherapy with enjoyment, pride and sometimes a shrug of “no big deal”.
- They find interesting, and weird – good weird.
- Sometimes a child will not want to talk about the experience, which should be respected.
- Teens report enjoying Hypnotherapy for the opportunity to take a break from stress: they like the relaxation, the vivid imagery, and the sense of control.
Things You Should Know About Your Childs Hypnotherapy Session
- Hypnotherapy is completely safe; there are no side effects.
- Hypnosis cannot make your child do anything against their will.
- The session is totally child centered. Talk with the child not to them or about them.
- Each session lasts either 80 minutes for the initial session or 60 mins for subsequent sessions.