Kapha indicates a preponderance of the water and earth element.
People with this kapha constitution are generally cool, calm, lazy, cheerful, stocky (if not overweight). If assigned a task, they never complete the task in time.
Actually, Ayurveda says that because a kapha person is the least bothered, happiest type of person on the whole planet, the best constitution is kapha. They’re cheerful all the time! Other qualities include a thick build, thick, dark hair, big eyes with white around, and prominent, shiny, white teeth. The skin may also be thick, moist, and a little cool to the touch. As a personality type, while they tend to accumulate stuff, they also have a sharing streak that moves them to service for society.
Location of Kapha is in bones, muscles, and tendons. It acts as the ‘binding agent’ to keep the cells together. It keeps the body moist. It lubricates joints, moisturizes the skin, and maintains immunity. In balance, kapha is synonymous to love, calmness, and forgiveness. If out of balance it can be the cause of negative emotions like greed and jealousy. Kapha personalities have good appetite and low digestive ability which makes them put on weight. Kapha personalities live an easy-going life and prefer to maintain the status quo. They are peaceful and balanced. They are sensitive. If they experience injustice with them or others, they tend to slip into depression. Lack of routine, lethargy, no exercise, irregular sleeping time, heavy food, eating frequently, and intake of too much dairy are some of the reasons which can cause the imbalance.
Signs of Kapha Imbalance:
- Respiratory disorders
- Sweet taste in the mouth
- Hardening of blood vessels
- Loss of appetite
- Disorders of the joints
Remedies for Kapha Imbalance:
- Foods that are astringent, spicy, and bitter tastes are conducive for keeping kapha under check. Dry and warm food helps too.
- Keeping the body active is a must for kapha personalities. It ensures that they do not slip into lethargy and inertia.
- Regular practice of yoga helps keeping the energy high, keeping toxins away and the body active.
- The controlled and long breath taken during Pranayama keeps the mind calm and increases the health of lungs.
- Avoid sleep during the day which can increase kapha.