Getting proper shuteye is extremely important for your mental and physical health. In fact, sleep problems like difficulties falling asleep and/or staying asleep are known to cause a variety of psychological and physical complaints.
These include headaches, decreased energy, poor concentration, short-term memory problems, irritability, and anxiety.
Some healthy sleep habits to consider adopting include:
* Avoid stimulating activities two to three hours before bedtime (for example, watching TV, working on your computer, exercising vigorously, and drinking caffeine).
* Engage in a relaxing activity before bedtime like curling up with a good book or getting a back rub from your partner.
* Go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every day, including weekends.
* Keep your bedroom cold (around 19 degrees celcus) and dark (invest in room-darkening shades or curtains).
* Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
* Consider journaling or doing a “brain dump” before bed to get any thoughts or worries onto paper so they don’t interfere with falling or staying asleep.