Those who are born with more of the space and air element have a vata constitution.
Vata constitution is governed by the features of space and air. Generally, a vata person will be very thin, more talkative, restless; they typically have a lower body weight, dry skin, brittle nails, thin hair, and small, slightly sunken eyes. While walking, their joints may make sounds. In terms of climate, they tend to prefer warm or hot weather; they may have trouble tolerating the cold. They have a hard time gaining weight, so they tend to be thin with a low weight.
Vata is located in the abdomen below the navel; including the colon, pelvis, pelvic organs besides thighs, skin, ears, nervous system, and lungs. It is responsible for movement in the body and mind. Sensory impulses, breath, excretion, speech, and pumping of blood are some of its main functions. It also ignites agni, the digestive fire in the body.
Signs of Vata Imbalance:
- Dryness and roughness of skin
- Too much weight loss. Emaciation happens.
- Irregular bowel movement or constipation
- Pain in bones, joints
- Fear and restlessness
- Abnormal pulse rate
- Preference for hot environment and surroundings
Diseases Caused by Vata Imbalance:
Imbalance of this dosha can cause irregularity in functioning of bowel movements, nervous system, disorders in muscles and joints, etc. Here are some of the disorders that vata imbalance can cause:
- Loose teeth
- Facial Paralysis
- Acute stress
- Tonic and Clonic Seizures
- Earache and hearing disorders
- Stiff legs
- Cramps in calf muscles
- Stiffness in the neck
Remedies for Balancing Vita:
- Get to bed before 10:00 pm and rise by 6:00 am
- Maintain a daily routine with regular times for eating, sleeping, and working (dinacharya)
- Drink warm beverages and eat freshly prepared, warm, whole foods.
- Eat foods that are naturally sweet, sour, and salty in taste.
- Use generous amounts of high-quality oils or ghee and warming spices like ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, and cumin in your daily diet
- Avoid alcohol, caffeinated beverages and chocolate
- Incorporate a regular exercise routine into your week
- Vata-reducing herbs and remedies